Friday, February 20, 2009

Help me with the Blue's

Hi All,

I'm a big fan of cheap, sweat equity in the home. I've been itching to paint our kitchen lately. We have a dark blue color under the chair rail and on the back splash. The cabinets are cream. The floor is blue/ grey and the counter is blue-ish, too. I don't care for the blue at all. I can easily paint the walls and back splash, but not the counter and floor.

SO- I need help choosing a color that will make the blue counter look less blue, if possible... I'll probably do the cabinets in cream or some kind of white. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Shana Stringer said...

I saw use some nice deep brown/mocha colors they cover dirt and will give you some depth.

Shana Stringer said...

you could do a light brown above the chair rail and a darker one below it for some contrast.

The Shadburn Family said...

I like browns and tans, that would be good below the chair rail- thanks. Do you think it will tone down the blue? I was also thinking about those tin, patterned squares for the back splash. I'd have the check the price, but it's neutral-ish. Thanks, Shana

Lost Arts said...

Don't know if you will see this since you post is a little old but:

I have paitned a floor before. I had "sticky" blue tiles that I hated. I got some grout tape at Lowes and taped off the fake grout lines in the tiles. Then I put two coats of oil based primer on the floor. Next, I used three colors of paint - 1 as a base and 2 that I sponged on. If you do it right it looks like stone tile. I actually went to Lowes and bought one tile that I wanted it to look like and played with it until I had the method down. When you are finished, put 3-4 (or more) coats of poly on top. Everyone thought I put down new tile. It lasted for several years. I only put 2 coats of poly on it - would have lasted longer if I had put more. Of course, you want to start with a clean, scrubbed floor.
You can also paint your countertops. I have never tried this, but hear it works good. I copied these instructions off the internet :

Sand down lightly, use a tack cloth to get rid of dust, and PAINT! I suggest using acrylics and maybe a sponge for sponge painting (no lines will show). If you sponge with 5 different colors and really blend, it'll be as beautiful as a new counter. I used the Ceramcoat acrylics in the hobby store (Michaels) for the alternate colors. I bought a small pint for the base color. Then varnish with marine varnish -- at the very least, 3 coats (with fine sanding in between). I've moved since doing mine but girlfriend's is still in use after 9 years!

I think I'll try this some day.

Just a thought if you are feeling trapped by the floor and countertops!

Karen