Monday, November 26, 2007

Thankful

We had a great Thanksgiving! My Aunt Nell flew down from Michigan like she does every year and we were at my mom and dad's most of the day. We had good food and great company. Some things that are different this year made me realize how blessed we are and how much we have to be Thankful for.

My younger brother, Joe, was driving home from Carrollton (West Georgia University) on Wednesday afternoon. To avoid hitting another car, he veered off into a ravine. His car flipped several times and it is now totaled. Amazingly, he came out without a scratch. God was with him.

On Thanksgiving day, Andrew was sick and couldn't keep anything down. He was in a really great mood all day, just couldn't eat. It was over by Friday morning- when Charles and I woke up with it! Agh! But luckily we had no vomiting, just felt sick. It, also, was gone in a day.

ANYWHO- what I'm getting at is this... This time of year is often stressful. I blame most of it on presents! What to get, how much to spend, budgeting for the extra expenses, etc. I'm making a conscious effort this year to avoid that downward spiral. Charles and I have put ourselves last on the "gift" list. We are so blessed with Andrew, our family, our church, our God. And each year as we mature, we realize that we don't need gifts to be thankful or happy or in "the Christmas spirit." Surrounded by our friends and family, with a new addition on the way, we are just happy to have what we have. We're thankful for our health, our family, our safety.

Philipians 4:12-13

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

1 comment:

Shana Stringer said...

Great encouragement Maggie.