Friday, February 26, 2010

A Scary Day for Eli

Okay, Eli was out of it, the rest of us were scared. Here's what happened...

Andrew was sick with a bad cough and strep throat. Delsym is the best cough syrup in my opinion. It works, you only take it once every 12 hours and it's yummy. A little too yummy. Eli was apparently jealous and wanted some, too.

On Wednesday, I was upstairs getting dressed when Andrew called, "Mom, Eli's pouring out the Delsym!" Eli had gotten a chair from the table and drug it to the counter, got the Delsym, and got the top off (still can't figure out HOW). I came down and saw some Delsym in the sink. I didn't see any on the floor, counter, or on Eli's mouth or shirt. The bottle (that Andrew only had a few doses from) was just about empty. I didn't think anything of it until a little later when Eli began wobbling around like he was drunk. His eyes were rolling around and he could barely keep his head up. He was wavering and stumbling. I thought "Could this be a really bad case of strep throat?" A called the doctor for an appointment but couldn't get one soon enough. I took him to the ER near our house.

He got back there quickly. A nurse and nursing student checked us in, but I felt like as soon as I turned around the tiny room was full. A doctor, two or three nurses, a paramedic, a respiratory guy. They were all asking questions, it was overwhelming. His blood pressure fell dangerously low. It took at least 10 different nurses to get blood drawn and an IV going. Apparently they all get two tries. Nurses just kept coming and going. I cried a lot, especially when I had to call Charles who was in Statesboro doing an unfamiliar route in the snow.

Eli got two doses of Narcain to counter act the effects of the cough syrup. The Delsym has the same affect as an opiate, a psychedelic. By the time the Children's Health Care Transport Team arrived Eli was responsive but not verbal and there was no "life" in his eyes. My dad came to be with Andrew and I rode in the ambulance to Egleston with Eli.

By the time we got to Egleston Eli was up, trying to climb out of his little hospital crib and asking for mama. His urine was positive for opiates. We stayed the night for observation. His condition just kept improving and we were discharged Thursday morning. He, I and my mom are all antibiotics for strep JIC, since we all had some symptoms.

I am infinitely thankful that God was with Eli. His normal robust body was weakened and the Lord remained with him. He heard our prayers. Today I read a verse that reminded me (again) that God is in control:

"I form the light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things." Isaiah 45:7.



4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my goodness!!! That was scary just to read, I can't imagine going through it. Praise God Eli is OK!!!

Muddled Mama said...

Thank the Lord he didn't drink more. I didn't know cough syrup could be so dangerous.
Sherri

Paul Spillers said...

Totally scary story! Thank God Eli is alright now.

Meggan said...

My goodness gracious!!!! Praise God he's okay!