Sunday, January 24, 2010

Adios Diapers (almost!)

It's that time again- time to potty train!! I trained Andrew when he was 2 and a half and it was REALLY easy. Andrew is a pleaser. I was really wondering how it would go with Eli. Before he was actually here, I thought I'd try to do it earlier than with Andrew. Well, even though I had reservations after I realized how different our two boys are, I still tried earlier. (Eli just turned 2 last month).

Like with Andrew, I followed the methods to potty train in one day with this book. My mom used the same book (literally, it's pages are yellowed) to train me, my 2 brothers and one little girl she looked after.

Eli didn't take to potty training on day one so well. He LOVED the positive rewards when he went potty. But he wasn't that upset when he had an accident; and with this method, the disliking of being wet is important. S0 we revisited a week later and he responded well.

He still hadn't done #2 in the potty, but we haven't been using diapers. Yes, that means poopy in undies. And when that happens, Eli has to clean it up. Yes, he does a terrible job but that's not the point. Either way, he is wearing diapers at night and that's it. We'll get him off of that a bit later.

Lots of drinks and salty snacks to help him go.

I'm happy with how he's done so far!

1 comment:

Erin said...

LOL! He is so cute! I love his "dry pants" dance ;-) We use that book as well - we've never actually achieved complete training in less than a day, but the method and tips that book provides are excellent! Way to go, Eli!!!