Friday, December 5, 2008

Penny Pinching

Some of you out there, like me, like to save money every wich-a-way. I found a few things that have helped us...

Make your own laundry detergent:
I found this "recipe" online and it works great for us.
1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, grated (you can find in the laundry isle- just look closely) About $2.
1/2 c washing soda (NOT baking soda). Washing soda is also by Arm and Hammer. It's in a big yellow box in the laundry isle. It's around $4.
1/2 c Borax, also in the laundry isle. I forget how much, but it was cheap.

Mix all ingredients and use 1-2 tbs per load, depending on size, how dirty and if you have hard water. There were also recipes online for liquid detergent.

Make your own dishwasher detergent:
Just mix equal parts Borax and Baking Soda. Use 2 tbs per load, again depending on dirtiness and hard water. They also recommend using vinegar in place of Jet Dry.
This works well for us because we rinse really well. We don't put plates with chunks and stuff in the dishwasher. You may have to experiment with your own situation.

Preserve Celery:
Andrew and I love celery with peanut butter and maybe some raisins or sunflower seeds on top. But we buy the celery by the bunch and we can't eat it all before it goes bad. But if you wrap it in foil it stays fresh a LONG time.

Let me know if they work for you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My liquid version is a little gloppy (is that a word?), but it seems to be working fine. I'll try the dishwasher detergent soon.

Turtlesmom said...

oops--that was me above

Kelly C.