Friday, July 18, 2008

A Q for the Mama's

Hi Mom's (and anyone else who can offer some insight)-

I enjoy watching Nanny 911 or Supernanny every now and then. What I notice is that when the nanny is putting the family on a routine (or even if the family already has one) they put the kids to bed SO STINKIN' EARLY. Well, early for our home, anyways. On the shows, they'll be going to bed at like 7:30! Oh yeah, on John and Kate Plus 8 it's 8:00 bed time. I used to babysit and I remember a few families that has a 7:30/ 8:00 bed time, too.

What I'm wondering is "what time do these kids get up?" Don't call DFACS, but Andrew's bed time is 9:30 and we usually make it. And he gets up around 7:30pm. **Side story** He asked for an alarm clock for school, which start in a few weeks, so we got him one. I told him he can't come out of his room until 8:00am. So he just reads, cleans up and gets dressed if he's up before 8:00. I love his ideas!! Andrew still takes QT (quiet time). He doesn't always nap, but he does rest for about an hour during the day. And for Eli, he goes down around 9pm and gets up around the same time as Andrew.

So maybe we're just shifted, and that's okay. You gotta do what is right for your family. And when D goes to school we'll shift the whole day earlier. But if we put them to bed at 7:30 or 8, they'd be up at like 5/6 am!!

Even if you've never commented before, please give me some insight. Just out of curiosity, what is your bed time and wake up time for the kids?

6 comments:

Josh Stringer said...

Maggie,
We put Zoe and Bogie in bed around 10 every night. haha! I would think that a consistent schedule would be the key. But what do I know? I don't have kids.

The Shadburn Family said...

Well we are consistent, just late, I guess? I just can't imagine a 7:30 bedtime.

Josh Stringer said...

When I was a kid we had an 8:30 bedtime. Whatever sitcom we liked always came on at 8. We would brush our teeth on the last commercial break and then go to bed. Then mom and dad would stay up and play Legend of Zelda on our Nintendo.

Tessa said...

I put both of my girls to bed at 8pm(Lula 3, and Phoebe 1). I put Lula to bed and she usually stays up in her room and reads or plays until she falls asleep. Lula wakes up at 7am no matter what time she goes to bed. Phoebe sleeps until 8am. They both nap during the day which is great for me and the early bedtime give Anthony and I some time just the two of us, but you are right and you have to do what works best for your family. =)

Jennifer said...

We have an alarm set for 8:45 pm that signals the beginning of the night-time routine! We send everyone up to potty, brush teeth, and get pjs on. Then, we will tuck everyone in. The two older boys have reading lamps (Ikea) in their beds, so they usually read until they fall asleep.

When we start back with school, we will probably move it up and start the "madness" at around 8:15 or 8:30pm. That way everyone is fresh and rested and ready for learning! :-) We have some that wake up at 7am no matter what, and some that sleep in until 8:30.

I agree that you need to try different things to see what works for your family. You know Andrew best and how much sleep he needs to function. As he grows, he will change, and you'll need to adjust. Do that and feel no guilt! :0)

Jen :0)

The Shadburn Family said...

I don't feel guilty. I am ALL FOR the "do what works for your family" thing. I was just curious if the kids who went to bed earlier got up super early. And Drew still takes QT (quiet time). I know, he's old for that! But he won't be much longer, and he'll be going to bed earlier. I hope that he still sleeps until 7:30 or 8 like he does now! Thanks all!!