Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eli can READ!

About a year ago we got this DVD set called "Your Baby Can Read" for Eli. The informercials for this are amazing. You Tube it or something.

It's basically introducing the written word as the same time as hearing it. Example: the screen will be all green (or whatever color) with the word CAT on it in some font (they vary) while someone says CAT once or twice. The next scene is of a cat and they say something like "Look at the fluffy cat."

I don't do these videos with his NEARLY as often as they say, but today we watched it on mute, so I could see if he could recognize more written words. He newly recognized a lot: kick, point, tiger, hi, dog, baby and yes. We also teach him baby signs, so that is how I knew he knew the words.

The main reason we got this set for him (off ebay- it's too much $$ new) was in hopes that reading would one day be less stressful for him. The little synapses in his brain are forming now, so the more connections he gets at this early stage in life, the better. Today gave me a renewed energy in this.

3 comments:

Meggan said...

that's great! go eli!

Marcy said...

I think that's so neat! What a smartie!

Muddled Mama said...

Bruce has been pushing me to check out that program. Can't wait to pick your brain about it!

Sherri